Crystal blue waters of the Maldives
Maldives surfing redefines the concept of luxury surfing vacation where you can experience the warm kiss of the waves washing your body and refreshing your mind and spirit, alike and best time to surf Maldives are April through October.
Emblematic of high-end serenity, Maldives surfing trips are simply unique as they offer double facility of enjoying the surfing tours in luxury ships as well as surf in the crystal clear blue waters of Maldives. Amongst the tourism atolls, most known surfs are in North and South Malé Atolls.
The resorts on the eastern reef of the atoll are ideally placed for the avid surfer. The Outer Atolls, approximately 300 miles to the South, contain at least a dozen, potent world class reef breaks that are rarely surfed, and this zone is fickle, with the right winds occurring only in two narrow windows generally from February to April and September-November.
This area can only be accessed by means of a well-equipped surf charter vessel. The surf in the Outer Atolls is usually a few feet bigger than the North Male Atoll, hollower and shallower, similar to Indonesia style breaks.
The best waves can be had from April to October, with the biggest swells likely to occur in June to September.
During these months the conditions are predominantly off-shore all day due to the monsoonal winds from the Indian Subcontinent and the swell generated from the south.
The surf generally ranges in size from 3-8 feet; however larger waves have been experienced. A great variety of reef breaks exist ranging in intensity from quite mellow shred able walls to gnarlier hollow pits. There is something for everyone.
Weather in Maldives
Weather in Maldives is influenced by two monsoons the northeast monsoons and the southwest monsoons. The Maldives surf season begins from late February to mid November with the best waves coming in during March to May and then again in September till the end of November.
During the surf seasons, the average size of the reef breakers ranges from 4-5 feet, sometimes even rising to a height of 8 to 10 feet. There are principally two major Maldives surfing areas and thus two swell seasons:
- North Male Atoll [season: April-October]
- Outer Atolls [season – February-April]
April looks like the best time to surf Maldives and gives you the possibility to hit either swell window.
Maldives Surf Points
- Cokes – situated at Thulusdhoo in the eastern reef of North Male Atoll.
- Chickens – also known as Kuda Vilingili, it is situated in the eastern reef of North Male Atoll.
- Honky’s – also known as Thanburudhoo, it is situated in the eastern reef of North Male Atoll.
- Lohi’s – situated at Lohifushi Island, located at eastern reef of North Male Atoll.
- Guru’s – this famous surfing point is situated at southern tip of North Male atoll.
- Natives – situated at Kandooma, in eastern reef of North Male atoll.
- Kate’s – situated at Boduhuraa near Palm Tree Island, it is located at eastern reef of South Male Atoll.
- Riptides – situated in Guraidhoo, it is located at the eastern reef of South Male Atoll.
- Sultans – located at Kanu Huraa, it is situated at eastern reef of North Male Atoll.
- Tomb Stones – located at Thamburudhoo, this surfing spot is adjacent to Sultans, in eastern reef of North Male Atoll.
- Piddlies/Ninjas – situated in Kanifinolhu Island, it is on the eastern reef of North Male Atoll.
- Quarters – known as Gulhigaathuhuraa, in the uninhabited island attached to Palm Island Resort.
- Male Island Point – located in Furana Fushi Island in the eastern reef of North Male Atoll.
- Twin Peaks – situated at Miyaru Faru near the island of Gulhi in eastern reef of south Male Atoll.
Dhonveli Beach and Spa (Thari Village)
Dhonveli Beach and Spa formerly Thari Village, is reputed to be the best surf stop-over in the Maldives. The resort has access to two of the best surfs in North Male. Surfers are given accommodation at Dhonveli Beach and Spa itself and in the nearby resorts. If you want to surf outside of North Male' atoll, you will have to book a reservation on a live aboard.
Pasta Point Break
Pasta Point is a long peeling left with exclusive access to Thari Village. Five miles away you find the Honkys and Sultans. Honkys is a long wrapping left and is reputed to be the best wave in the Maldives.
Sultans is a right with barrels. The average size of reef breakers is 4-5 feet, rising to 8-10 feet during the surf monsoon. Reef breakers are sometimes quite tricky to surf; the water is quite shallow on the surf and the coral beds sharp and protruding.
Surfers are advised to bring all their equipment with them, as there are very few good surf equipment available.
Check out this linkfor a good boat trip option. More Source: